Tuesday, July 29, 2008

We Kept Portland Weird.

Saturday night found me in the Couv, spending some girl time with Nicole. Our plans were pretty flexible and low key - Ikea, beerfest, food. Our first stop was the land of nordic furniture love-IKEA. I have a love/hate relationship with that place. I love the goods they sell...the clean lines, crazy names and tasty swedish meatballs. However, I really, really hate feeling like a cow being led to the slaughter of long checkout lines. Have you ever tried going against the current? Not a good idea.
After having a difficult time deciding on a duvet cover for school (committment is something I'm working on) we decided to head into the Portland waterfront where the Oregon Brewfest was taking place. This is the biggest brewfest on the continental United States (though I find it hard to believe that either Alaska or Hawaii would have bigger ones..but whatever).
Admission was free, but beer was ridiculous, as were the wasted patrons who were wandering around under the large and loud tents. Nicole and I decided to take the safe route and people watch. Apparently, with Nicole and I, people watching is not a safe activity!
As we are seated in leaning metal folding chairs, three guys approach. Here is the conversation that followed:
"Hey, do you have a swisher?" (says the drunk boy to Nicole)
"Umm, nope! Sorry" (Nicole being polite as always :))
"Do you smoke weed?" (the drunk again)
"No, we don't" (Nicole still nice.)
"What?!? Whats your world like??" (the drunk guy VERY amazed at our sober status)
"A bit more coherent than yours" (me...still trying to figure out what a swisher is)
"whoa. It's a like a brave new world" (the drunk)


As they stumbled away I was very much impressed that he referenced the book a Brave new World! Especiallys since that was a pub quiz question last week!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

ROLFLMAO!!! You are freakin' hilarious, and I'm glad I can now read the frquent musings of Gretchen! Keep it Real